Dallas Personal Injury Lawyer
Dallas Personal Injury Attorney Firm Profile Case Evaluation Common Questions Contact Us
Personal Injury Lawyers Here to Help
Why Choose Jackson Allen & Williams? Board certified in civil trial law Over 50 years of combined experience
Dallas Personal Injury Law Blog
Dallas Personal Injury Areas of Practice
Car Accidents
Truck Accidents
Motorcycle Accidents
Other Accidents
Bicycle Accidents
Dog Bites
Wrongful Death
Slip and Fall
Personal Injury FAQ
Types of Injuries
Serious Injuries
Amputation Injuries
Broken Bones
Burn Injuries
Catastrophic Injuries
College Hazing
Crush Injuries
Defective Tires
Disfiguring Injuries
Internal Injuries
Neck Injury
Pool Injuries
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Severe Scarring
Soft Tissue Injuries
Spinal Cord Injury
Traumatic Brain Injury
Ask a question on our website and get an answer!
Contact Us

Dangers of Button-Cell Batteries

Yesterday, ConsumerReports.org reported on the recent data released by Dr. Toby Litovitz, M.D. regarding the dangers of button-cell batteries.

Sincer 1985, Dr. Litovitz has been collecting and analyzing incident-report data through the National Battery Ingestion Hotline. In that over twenty-five year time span, incident reports from battery ingestion have increased sevenfold. Even worse, over the past five years, Dr. Litovitz has aseen what she calls a "very dramatic shift" in the severity of injury from battery ingestion. According to the data, the most dangerous battery is the 20 mm lithium battery. Smaller batteries tend to make there way through and out of the digestive tract. This particular battery most often gets lodged in the throat or esophagus. The battery can then burn holes in the esophagus or trachea requiring surgical repairs. If not caught in time, the injuries are sometimes fatal.

Because the symptoms of battery ingestion are often mistaken for normal childhood ailments, its often misdiagnosed as stomach flu or a common cold. If your child is exhibiting symptoms such as vomiting, lack of appetite, drooling, hoarseness, cough, feverl or respiratory symptoms and they MAY have swallowed a battery, get them to the nearest emergency room for an x-ray immediately.
888.811.9747. We are here to help
Read our firm's blog.